Foundation For A Greater Hampton Roads: My Mission
Google

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

My Mission

My mission for this area and the purpose of this site is to gain support for a plan to combine the Hamton Roads area into one jurisdiction, possibly the City of Greater Hampton Roads. The benefits of being one city are limitless. The area would be able to attract more businesses to the area and there would be a large financial base to solve crime, education, and traffic problems. The first thing to do, in order to make this plan work, would be to accomodate as many people as possible. I will post a seperate article on this, to which I would like everyone to post their concerns about this scenario. I will look at everyone's concerns and I will try to mold them into one plan. My original plan would include the 7 main cities in the area (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Portsmouth, and Suffolk). There are more cities in the area and I would not mind them joining as well, as it would only contribute to the overall goal of a better region to live and work in. The Hampton Roads Partnership lists the Hampton Roads communities as: Chesapeake, Franklin, Gloucester, Hampton, Isle of Wight, James City County, Newport News, Norfolk, Poquoson, Portsmouth, Smithfield, Southampton County, Suffolk, Surry , Virginia Beach, Williamsburg, and York County
There are 17 localities there. If all of those would be able to be one jurisdiction, the area would be in much better shape economically. Even if the 7 cities were a jurisdicion and the remaining 10 in a co-operative with that city, we would be better off.

NOTE: All comments are approved by me before they are put onto the site. I do not censor ideas, only extreme language, as it is part of my AdSense Agreement. I will only replace such things with *** and will not remove or modify the underlying idea in any way.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice disclaimer, man

it's a good idea...i think i've been hearing noise about that for years...
gonna take hellavu lotta force to make it happen, though.

4/21/2006 08:47:00 AM  
Blogger Avenging Archangel said...

A first step for us on this side of the water should be consolidating the 5 cities of South Hampton Roads. Consolidation with the Peninsula makes little sense without a regional light rail network in place.

I've been thinking about a way of pushing it - which I plan to post on my blog in May. :)

3/15/2008 09:38:00 PM  
Blogger Missy Schmidt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/29/2008 02:50:00 PM  
Blogger Missy Schmidt said...

Hi, Russell- (NOTE: please use this comment, corrected for typos, and remove this note; thanks!)

We moved to Hampton Roads in May07; I was born/raised in Western VA (Shenandoah Valley) and my better-half came from upstate NY (and work/lived in Manhattan, too).

When we moved here, I started pondering this issue on my own blog.

Glad to find your site. I like your ideas so much that I've added them to my blog: http://mgblankenship.blogspot.com/2008/06/hampton-roads-has-history-of.html

This will definitely take a grassroots effort, young and old, educating the populace and the powers-that-be of the GREAT benefits of a cooperative, united government.

Thanks!

6/29/2008 02:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Dawn Newsome said...

I love what you're doing here. Can you supply an RSS feed link? I prefer to have my subscriptions in one place rather than via email. Would love to follow your posts. Keep up the good work.

7/17/2009 07:21:00 AM  
Blogger Russell Manning said...

you can visit my main site at http://www.757hamptonroads.com - I tend to use the Foundation site to post solid ideas, while the 757HR site is more for my day to day work.

7/17/2009 07:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home